Cancelation Fallout

One of the saddest things about seeing a show you love get canceled/ending is seeing the actors from those shows popping up in, let's say, less than favorable roles. Obviously, I wold love if these guys could jump from one successful show to the next, but unless they're the headliner or have existing movie careers, chances are they're doomed to guest-appearance-hell in the best case, celebrity reality shows at the worst.

I bring this up because I've now seen a spate of Wheden show refugees showing up in the guest spot gigs. Tonight Charles Gunn from Angel played a prosecutor on CSI: Miami. About a month ago I saw Tara in a Cold Case flashback sequence. Probably the worst was seeing Cordelia Chase slumming HUGE on Charmed as some demon-or-other. (No I do NOT watch that sad excuse for a 9th rate Buffy rip off. I was flipping through channels, saw Cordie and thought our WB had reconsidered it's cancelation of the Sunday Buffy/Angel marathon, which they hadn't ... bastards.) Of course a couple of Firefly alumni ran through Buffy and Angel, but that really doesn't quite count.

Unfortunately, there are a few that I'm pretty sure I'm never going to see again. Xander Harris, I'm pretty sure, is doomed to obscurity (probably the biggest shame). Spike: ditto. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce is on the cusp, but he married Willow, so ... fair play to Wesley. Some, and I'm looking at Lorn and Jonathan here, are destined for the worst fate of all - the convention circuit in a booth between Lou Ferringo and the guy that wore the Bobba Fett mask in Empire. Jury's still out on Angel...

I'll not mention the disturbing image of the ghost of Joyce Summers hawking Advil ... creepy AND sad.

On the flip side, it's fun seeing some of these guys early work before they became cult icons. I've seen Darla as the sexy new recruit at Doug's delivery company on King of Queens. Lila was a dominatrix super-model on Just Shoot Me.

p.s. Yes, I know these people have real names, I was just too lazy to look up the correct spellings.

p.p.s. That's not entirely true, mostly I have a bit of an issue separating these particular people from their characters. I have a problem.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

RSS